These roasted chocolate cherry brownies are the ultimate fudgy brownies. They are whipped brownies loaded with chocolate chips. The brownies are filled and topped with roasted fresh cherries. Every bite is full of cherry flavor!
These roasted cherry brownies are filled with cherries and chocolate chips. The brownies are based on my better than boxed brownies. To get them full of chocolate, I use a high quality dutch process cocoa powder and chocolate chips.
My favorite part about these chocolate brownies are the fudgy middle. They are already fudgy, but adding the cherries puts them over the top! They are perfect for Valentine's Day.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS
These are some notes about the ingredients used for these easy homemade brownies. For full list of ingredients see the recipe below.
- First, cut the juicy cherries in half and measure out to 2 cups. Place them on a cookie sheet with parchment paper and sprinkle with sugar. This will sweeten the cherries more. Then, bake for 10 minutes. Let them cool while you make the brownie batter.
- Then, mix the dry ingredients. Make sure to sift the flour and cocoa powder to avoid lumps in the batter. Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Next, beat the eggs and sugar using a mixer with a whisk attachment. They need to be beaten on high speed for 5 minutes in large mixing bowl. The air being whipped into the eggs is what gives it the crinkle top. Add in the butter, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Fold in dry ingredients. Fold gently into the wet ingredients until fully mixed in using a rubber spatula. Add in half of the cherries and all of chocolate chips into the chocolate mixture. Pour batter into an 8X8 inch square baking dish.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes. The brownies need to be slightly underdone because they bake still in the hot pan as they cool. If they look too soft in the middle, bake for 5 more minutes and check again. A toothpick inserted should come with just a few moist crumbs. Let it cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Freeze for 15 minutes so the brownies are firm enough to cut cleanly. Then, top with the rest of the cherries. They are seriously are the best brownies! They also go perfect with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
EXPERT BAKING TIPS
When you mix the eggs and sugar, make sure to use a mixer with a whisk attachment. These can't be made by hand. Especially since we need the power of the mixer to mix in enough air into the eggs.
Don't add the top cherries until after the brownies are done baking. I tried this, and it was too much liquid for the brownies to bake properly.
STORING AND FREEZING
These roasted cherry gooey brownies need to be stored at room temperature in an airtight container. They will last up to 3-4 days.
Freeze the chocolate cherry brownies in an air tight container up to 30 days. Let it thaw on the counter completely before eating.
Recipe from Stephanie