Founded in 1987, Porcel S.A. is a prestigious brand and manufacturer of fine porcelain.
Located in the heart of Portugal, Porcel combines handmade tradition and technological innovation into the making
of each piece, resulting in high quality, creative and elegant porcelain products.
For Porcel, the selection of materials is very important and each product is designed, shaped and moulded according to strict accuracy standards. Porcel porcelain fires at 1400ºC and is known to be very white, shiny and resistant. Offering a wide range of products and investing in research and development of new models, new collections and custom made solutions, Porcel makes efforts to follow the latest trends and market demands, annually presenting new collections at relevant international events.
Our porcelain pieces are touched by the hands of each worker, these pieces are the visible result of team
Throughout the process, of producing and decorating, each piece flows inside the factory traveling in the hands of most workers; these stages demand precision and dedication in each moment. All finished pieces are the result of team work and collaboration.
Porcel wants to spread the word on the beauty of the process and the relevance of technology combined with human interaction in the manufacturing stages that is:
- CLAY PREPARATION-Porcel receives high-quality clay in two different stages:
- plastic clay: this type of clay goes through an extrusion process for homogenization and airing that results in cylinders with an adjusted diameter for each piece;
- liquid clay: this type of clay is prepared in a high rotation stirrer where water and deflocculant are added to obtain and adjust the correct density and viscosity
- SHAPING-Each clay type has a different shaping process:
- plastic clay: is used to produce revolution pieces such as plates and saucers, these use a roller machine to achieve the shape;
- liquid clay: used to manufacture more complex pieces in a variety of sizes and shapes such as tureens, coffee pots or vases, these are all made using the traditional filling method using plaster molds. Other pieces, such as platters and pickle dishes can be shaped under pressure “between plaster”
- DRYING AND FINISHING-Just after the shaping process, all pieces are dried at around 100°c so they are easier to handle. Pieces are then finished to eliminate imperfections
- FIRST FIRE-After the finishing process all pieces will fire at round 1000°c, they then turn into bisque. This firing stage is essential to add special features to each piece, getting it ready for the next operation, specifically mechanical resistance and porosity
- GLAZING-In this stage, the pieces are selected and dusted off in order to be prepared for glazing. Glazing is done by dipping the bisque pieces into a glaze suspension
- SECOND FIRE-After glazing, the pieces will go through a second firing stage at around 1400°c, now resulting in porcelain pieces
- SELECTION OF WHITE-The porcelain pieces are carefully selected to then move to the white warehouse, waiting to be decorated
- DECORATING-The decorating stage can be done by applying decals by hand or by using brushes to apply gold, platinum or paint (for example painting rims or handles)
- DECORATION FIRE-This new firing operation is used specifically to lay the decoration, this fire will be
different temperatures, according to the type of product and the desired decoration result:
900ºc = onglaze // 1250ºc = inglaze // 1400ºc = high fire
- FINAL SELECTION-Each piece will be carefully selected to high standarts and the perfect ones will then be packed into gift or cardboard boxes (depending on the piece)
QUALITY & ENVIRONMENT
Focused on a sustainable growth
Porcel S.A. aims to be a "reference in the conception of porcelain solutions", based on a growth strategy
established on Innovation and Flexibility.
Quality, Environment and Safety are integrated into the company strategy, with a commitment to adopt a
management model that, in a balanced way, considers the economic, social and environmental preservation areas.
- To promote pollution prevention through the management of environmental impacts and minimal waste, rational use of water and all raw materials;
- Ensure compliance with legislation, regulations and other requirements on Quality and Environment;
- Provide professional development and motivate employees, matching their skills to the roles they play, based on the core values: Innovation, Flexibility, Accuracy and Team Spirit;
- Maintain and ensure continuous improvement by setting goals with periodic measure of results focused on improving the effectiveness of the management system;
- Contribute to sustainable development, meeting the needs and exceeding expectations;
- Involve employees, suppliers and service providers, in the principles and commitments outlined above.
Porcel porcelain fires at 1400°C and is known to be very white, shiny and resistant. For Porcel the selection of the materials is relevant, each piece is designed, shaped and moulded according to strict standards of accuracy. With focus on quality and attention to detail, the production process combines innovation with tradition.
- HANDMADE:Pieces with handmade indications are hand decorated. Each piece may present variations in finishes, colors, and textures, associated with the handmade production process and making each porcelain piece truly one of a kind. Every surface is unique due to the combination of hand-applied decoration with the firing process in the kiln.
- CARE INSTRUCTIONS:Pieces decorated with gold and platinum are very sensitive; avoid sliding these pieces on top of each other; to clean these pieces use a soft cloth dampened with alcohol. Pieces with a biscuit finish, if stained, can be washed with water, detergent, and a brush.
- MICROWAVE:Pieces decorated with gold or platinum should never be used in the microwave. Other pieces are microwave safe.
- DISHWASHER:There are several aspects that influence dishwasher safety – detergent, speed cycles, temperature, water characteristics and food residues, among others – and these are likely to damage gold and platinum decorations. Therefore, porcel does not recommend the use of the dishwasher for pieces decorated with gold or platinum.